Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Let's find the thing: Noelle Stevenson; Gingerhaze

Having spent the first half of the semester on Adobe Illustrator, we're now moving on to Photoshop! Woohoo! So, in preparation, we've been tasked to find five photoshop artists and write about them a little.

The first person I think of when I think photoshop artists is Noelle Stevenson, or as she is more commonly known online; Gingerhaze. Gingerhaze is a digital comic artist, probably best known for her drawings of The Broship of the Rings, a parody of The Lord of the Rings in which the characters are all drawn as modern day people.

(Photo from Gingerhaze) 

I was first attracted to this artist because of the subject matter and the simplicity with which she draws her characters. The very flat colors with little shading strike me as minimalist without taking away too many details. Gingerhaze also has done illustrations as well as comics, an example being a cover she did for Random House's Listening Library audio edition of The Time Machine:
(Photo from Gingerhaze) 

From this artist I hope to learn how to portray a scene without using too many details. I'd like to try my own hand at making illustrations and comics using photoshop and purely digital means.



1 comment: