Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Project Passable Papery Papercraft

The third Project in my digital foundations class was actually less digital than expected. We were doing paper craft projects. However, we had to be original in our construction and layout of our figures. After some research and practice on how to put together a 3D paper object, I tried my own hand at designing a character template. But before I could start on that, I needed to come up with an idea. Unsure of wether or not I wanted to do an original humanoid character or to design a template for an animal, I started my brainstorming in my sketchbook, going through a few different character designs and exploring multiple scenarios. I knew that I wanted to design a specific scene however.
(above: possible character designs. below: end design)

After I settled on a design, I then went on to make a mock up model. Instead of relying on pre-existing designs, I started from scratch, making my templates piece by piece. 


From here I dismantled my model and scanned the flattened pieces into the computer before importing them into Adobe Illustrator. Then, I worked out a color scheme using this website. I then made a base outline in Illustrator, and from there I used the colors I had chosen to design the specifics of my character. 
This was the end result: 







No comments:

Post a Comment